Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Dirty laundry...

So I was doing my quiet time this afternoon and I am in the book of John. (I recently finished Ephesians which was telling me how to love, and now I feel as though God lead me into John to teach me how to fall in love with Him through his life story; very cool and fun for me! :) Anyways, so I am reading in John 4: 39-42 and in my Bible, its just a blip of a couple of verses, but as I read, read over it again, and read over it again, I kept praying that God would reveal to me or uncover whatever it was that I was supposed to understand from those little bits of verses. Its all about the woman at the well, post-visit from Jesus and she is telling anybody who will talk with her, hear her out about her experience with Jesus. I especially got stuck on verse 39 where she testified, " He told me all the things that I HAVE done.". And I kept pondering on this and thinking, and God started putting the pieces together for me as to why I was hung up on that verse (It was like when you used to do those Math Superstar worksheets in Elementary school, which I HATED, and you asked some one to help you and they kept dancing around the answer until your brain caught up, that's how reading this verse felt.) What finally struck me was the fact that this woman was the 'woman at the well' the infamous woman who Jesus called out and exposed her for who she was being at the time; a floozy if you will. Well after she encountered, spoke with and experienced Christ, she was all about airing her 'dirty laundry'; she didn't hesitate to share the fact that, yes, she wasn't perfect, she had had her faults, flaws and blunders and would probably pay for that the rest of her life in her reputation, but she made it known that Christ told her all that she had done and given her something that she hadn't found in the beds, words or situations she had been in before; she experienced Christ as her literal Savior from the life she had led. And in the verse, she says ' all the things she had done" meaning, that was put behind her. So I am thinking, wow this woman is throwing all caution to the wind and just letting it all hang out, all her issues and all, but all for the sake of pointing her redemption back to her Savior, Christ. So I started putting the pieces together, and I realized after she had time with Christ, she wasn't pious, or off-putting, snobby-like like, "I was just with the Savior of the world and YOU weren't". Instead she testified. How often do we "Christians" find ourselves with an air of snobbishness about us because we are Christians, we are saved, God has redeemed us and there are just those other heathens in the world who just need to come to Christ? I know that sometimes, I'll admit, I feel a little high-on-the-horse about my relationship with Christ. Now I am not saying that you shouldn't feel empowered or proud that you have been redeemed and have a real-deal relationship with God; there's a difference between being honored and arrogant and I am speaking to the arrogance that we sometimes display. God just helped me recognize that maybe, just maybe, when other people, everyday Joe-smoes are able to see me as me, Christian, and are able to hear where God has taken me from, then I may seem less intimidating and maybe God can use me when I am humble, not arrogant. God was able to use the woman at the well's testimony as well as the Holy Spirit to help others see their error in their own lives and need for Christ. So maybe, we as Christians need to be reminded that God did deliver us from the same, disgraceful sin as the woman at the well and that God wants us to share that story of His sweet and tender love to the rest of the world so the pious off-putting "Christians" that non-believers think we are will realize we aren't that different; we Christians have just allowed God to wash our dirty laundry and take control and that has made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment