Monday, June 22, 2009

MUST DOs in Wilmington



Spawning from my most recent visit to my lovely hometown, (Wilmington, N.C.), I felt compelled to compile a list of MUST DOs when in Wilmington, whether you are visiting the area for a short period of time or if you have lived there your entire life. These are things from a true-local's perspective that you have to do before you leave Wilmington to have a great experience.

1. Taking in the downtown view from the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge:

If you are driving into (or even out of) Wilmington, this is a must to do. (If you are flying, either taking a taxi or renting a car or bumming a ride will be worth this! ) There is no better feeling in the world than when you cross that bridge. After being on 74/76 for FOREVER, when you cross the bridge and look to the left, you can take in such a charming and picturesque view of Wilmington that no postcard or picture can do justice. For me, when I cross that bridge, I literally feel like I can breath. In fact, I breath a sigh of relief because being able to look at that view of the place I call home is like it's saying "Welcome home".

2. Driving into Wilmington via Market St.:

To locals, Market St. is a NIGHTMARE; narrow two-lane, speed limits that are never followed, and trees that are a little to close to the road. But to me, driving down Market St. (now that I am away from it) is like entering a southern glen. Among the antebellum homes and beautiful old churches are these huge, old Oak tress that cast a very delightful shadow while driving down the street. Its just reminiscent of what I would think an old southern town looks like and I like that!

3. Driving down to Wrightsville Beach and driving down both ends of the beach:

Wrightsville Beach will always remind me of fun, unforgettable Summers with my closest friends,, but there is something about turning off your radio, rolling the windows down in your car and taking in the salt air. The best time to go is when the sun is going down, but that is just my opinion. Again, it gives you the moment to breath.

4. Going to Carolina Beach and getting a Britt's doughnut:

There isn't much I can say about this other than you have NEVER EVER EVER had ANYTHING like a Britt's doughnut and until you try one, you won't understand what I mean. Get a dozen to go, sit at the bar, eat two (if you can) with a diet coke (or whatever suites your fancy) and see what I am talking about. I mean, I seriously cannot describe to you how much those doughnuts will change your perspective on what a good doughnut is. Seriously.

So these again, are just a few things that I think are a MUST to do when in Wilmington, either as a vacationer or a resident. (Other MUST DOs to come! )

*DISCLAIMER: These MUST DOs are simply my opinion. My best friends could tell you four other things they would consider necessary to do when in Wilmington, so if you have any suggestions that I may have not remembered, please share them, and I will CONSIDER adding them to my list :). )

1 comment:

  1. we all should make a trip to wilmington so u can drive us around and do these things!!

    ReplyDelete